Friday, March 1, 2013

Planet Spencer cake



This cake was made for a very special little boy named Spencer who is having his birthday party tomorrow. I spent a while mentally planning this cake, I didn't want anything to fall over. It gave me a few heart failure moments along the way, but in the end, I was reasonably happy with how it turned out. It's hard to see in the photo, but the surface had a texture, so as not to be completely smooth.


The cake was made using a Fat Daddios 8 1/4'' hemisphere pann The lettering around circumference of the cake spells out HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY SPENCER REED - it was made mixing shades of Satin Ice fondant (white, red, yellow & orange) with tylose to harden. Each letter is on a toothpick. The little alien is made using green satin ice with yellow mixed to make this particular shade of green, with tylose to harden. The moon rocks are straight satin fondant marbled together (white brown & blue) - the cake also has glitter and glitter shapes stars on the planet & cake board.


The icing that covered the cake I marbled using this technique Before covering with fondant, I covered with a layer of white ganache.


Before placing my 2 halves together, I placed some fondant on the bottom cake card, so when the top half of the sphere was placed on top, it would create a several millimetre gap for the toothpicks to slide in to (so the toothpicks did not go in to the cake (and possibly get lost in cake)


This is what my board looked like with it's central dowel, the bottom hemisphere cake also had 4 dowels in it for strength. I drove this cake down to Spencer's home today and it arrived with no damage. Spencer won't see his cake until this afternoon, I can't wait to hear what he thinks of it (his mum loves it)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...