Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pina Colada Mousse cake for Grandma Kiwicakes birthday


Last week was Grandma Kiwicakes' birthday. She asked for a birthday cake with tapa and pineapple. However at the time she didn't know I'd planned to make her a pina colada mousse cake using a recipe I purchased online in support of the Helping Sweet Kate charity drive. The recipe is from the lovely Jo at Ciccio cakes. A mousse cake doesn't really lend it self to decorating in the usual manner. I didn't let that stop me and set out to give Grandma Kiwicakes what she asked for. This cake was a whopping 12'' in diameter.


Layered with 2 layers of pina colada mousse and another thin layer on top. The pineapple decorations were marzipan and the tapa design was pastel yellow Satin Ice fondant


To make the pineapples I coloured some marzipan yellow and green using progel


Using a pineapple plunger cutter, I cut out lots of little pineapples, the design was a bit one dimensional, so I added green tufts to the top of each one.


Using a fondant cutting wheel, I sliced randomly from the outside edge, as I wanted the ragged edges left on my tufts.


The marzipan sticks to itself when pressed, so no edible glue is needed. These are so quick and easy to make. In less than 20 minutes, I had enough for the whole cake.


The tapa design was made using this mould. I made two strips to go around the circumference of the cake. It is over dusted with lustre in a coppery tone. The pineappples rest on the ledge of the tapa surround. The Kiwicakes girls declared the cake delicious and this huge cake was spread around many people, each with a piece to take home. It was fun to do something a little different for a change.

Note: Mousse cakes needs to be refrigerated, so ideally this should be decorated shortly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...