Thursday, May 18, 2017

New Sanding Sugar available at Kiwicakes


We've just launched a stunning new range of chunky sanding sugars at Kiwicakes. They're made right here in NZ and are gluten free and nut free.


We offer a 1kg bag size


Or a 180g jar size.


One of my lovely Kiwicakers asked me the question "how do they last when stuck to buttercream or royal icing is there any colour weeping". So I set up an experiment. The Kiwicakes sanding sugar is pressed directly in to buttercream. (If you want a fondant covered cake simply use royal icing over fondant instead of buttercream) I've left some of the buttercream not covered in sugar so that you can see the icing colour doesn't have to match exactly. These are propped up on their side to show you it can stick on the side of a cake without falling off. After three days, the sugars appearance was unchanged. The photo below is the sugar after three days. With the addition of a new experiment.


When I reported back the success of my experiment. I was then asked "how does it perform after it has been in the fridge?" So I selected some red sugar, thinking this would have a higher concentration of colour. To be perfectly honest I expected the colour of the red sugar to run AND IT DIDN'T.


The red sugar on pink buttercream was placed int he fridge overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge and propped it up. After several hours I took this photo. No weeping or colour running at all. I can't wait to see this sugar appearing in next seasons wedding cakes, entire tiers can be economically covered in this sparkling sugar knowing your colour won't run or fade.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...